What is Technical Graphics?
Technical Graphics is one of the technology subjects offered at junior cycle.In Technical Graphics you will learn how to represent 3-D objects on paper and on computer.You will develop problem solving and creative thinking skills through the solution of graphical problems.
What will I learn in Technical Graphics?
Some of the things you will learn include:
• how to produce drawings using drawing equipment,freehand sketches and computers
• how to read and interpret drawings and diagrams
• how graphics relate to the design and manufacture of products.
Will Technical Graphics have anything to do with other subjects I will be studying?
Yes,Technical Graphics will be very helpful in the study of Materials Technology Wood, Technology, and Metalwork as each of these subjects require you to make drawings of the pieces you will be making.The problem solving and geometry you will learn in Technical Graphics will prove very useful in Mathematics.
What is the Technical Graphics Junior Certificate exam like?
You will sit a three hour examination paper. It is made up two sections:
• short answer questions which you complete on the sheet provided and
• longer questions which require more detailed answers.The longer questions allow you to show, in greater detail,the drawing and problem solving skills you have learned.
You can take the exam at Higher or at Ordinary level.When the time comes to decide, your teacher will help you choose the level that suits you best
How will Technical Graphics be useful to me?
Technical Graphics helps you to think in a more logical and creative way.You will be able to communicate information using diagrams and sketches.You will have learned how to present information in a neat and organised fashion.This subject will be of use to you if you want to progress into career areas such as architecture, all engineering codes, trades people and quantity surveying.
What happens to Technical Graphics after the Junior Certificate?
Technical Graphics is followed on by Design and Communication Graphics for the Leaving Certificate.
In this subject:
• there will be a greater emphasis on graphics and the use of CAD in creating drawings.
• the geometry that you have learned in Junior Certificate will be further developed.
Will I have the opportunity to see if I like Technical Graphics before choosing it?
Yes. Here at Chanel College we offer a sampling programme, during the first school term, to all 1st Year students. During this six week programme the student will get the opportunity to try all of the optional subjects offered, including Technical Graphics. It is only after this six week period that the student will choose which two of the six options offered; he will study for his Junior Certificate.
* Source NCCA website.